Website Menu

Weymouth wins seal league glory

WEYMOUTH have been crowned champions after sealing wins against Plymouth and the Beach Academy in the South West League.

The seasiders took to the court against Plymouth first and started well creating a five-point lead but controversy saw the Weymouth outfit give up a cluster of points reducing their lead to one.

A cool head was needed from setter Terry Oldrid and he made good decisions at crucial times to ensure the set did not get away from them.

The middles seemed to score at will against the Plymouth defence and coupled with some strong serving meant the away side closed out the set 25-21.

Weymouth made changes for the second set as Liam Tewkesbury came on and started particularly well.

With the scores at 20-20 it was imperative that Weymouth improved their first pass and libero Elliot Sawyer did well allowing the offence to function and opposite hitter Ryan Stout was Plymouth’s undoing as Weymouth took the set 25-22.

The pass was accurate for Weymouth in the third set and the attack worked well as they clinched the third set 25-16 and the match.

Weymouth were determined not to leave anything to chance as they faced the league’s Beach Academy side looking for the win to make them champions.

Club setters Carl Neal and Oldrid again shared the court time both establishing quick tempo attacks which split the opposition block leaving one on ones for outside spikers Sean Hendry, Tewkesbury and Ben Stokey as Weymouth took the first two sets by storm leaving the Beach Academy side struggling to score over 15 points (25-12, 25-15).

In the third set, coaches Jeanes and Hendry opted to put the opportunity in Neal’s hands to steer the team to its first league title.

A nine-point serving spree from Hendry gave Weymouth a comfortable lead allowing the side to loosen up and attack well.

Some impressive pick-ups from Sawyer and blocking from Mike Powell and Ian Denslow meant the young side were forced into hitting errors in the hope to challenge the defence of Weymouth.

hampionship point soon arrived and, at the second time of asking, setter Neal sent the ball to Hendry who left nothing to chance and sent the now South West League champions together into a frenzy of celebrations (25-12).

Weymouth would like to thank their sponsors Aura Nightclub and Stressless Massage in their debut season.

Volleyball: Three victories for super Weymouth!

WEYMOUTH Beach Volleyball Club took a stunning triple-bill of wins in National Shield and league action, but did drop their first sets of the season in the process.

In the National Shield they faced Portsmouth-based Urbond VC of National League Division Three – Weymouth’s target division for next season.

Weymouth got off to a great start winning the first set 25-16. Setter Terry Oldrid found reverse hitter Ryan Stout with regularity even when being forced to dig the ball from out of position.

With no changes to the team in the second set Weymouth carried on in the same vein winning 25-20, Elliot Sawyer rescuing some important balls from off the floor.

Weymouth had a wobble in the third losing 25-21 with some poor passing being the main architect of their downfall. But they regrouped and upped their game in the fourth set, taking it 25-18 to claim their first national league scalp and progress through to the next round where they will face Division One side Cardiff Celts.

Weymouth then took on City of Bristol VC at Redlands, with both teams looking to preserve an unbeaten league record.

The hosts got off to the best possible start taking an early lead in the first set with strong hitting from Sean Hendry and Sam Groom. Bristol put up some late resistance but it was no enough to stop Weymouth taking the set 25-16.

Weymouth took their winning form into the second set with some strong defence and tall blocking. The set was finished off with some powerful serving from Sean Hendry to close it out by 25-20.

The third set was a somewhat tighter affair with Weymouth taking their foot off the gas. An ace serve at 23-21 by Ian Denslow, took it to set point which was comfortably finished off by the Weymouth side to turn over their closest rivals 3-0.

For the second league game against Torexe Topguns Weymouth rotated their squad to feature setter Carl Neal, James Taggart as back court specialist and handed a debut to utility hitter Stephen Williamson.

With key players missing it took some time for Weymouth to find some consistency but through some good hitting by Stuey Jeanes and Liam Tewkesbury, Weymouth came out 25-23 winners in the first set.

The error strewn second set saw Torexe level the tie with too many net touches and service faults from Weymouth leading to a 25-20 scoreline. Weymouth came out better in the third, with Carl Neal utilising Stephen Williamson to good effect and also starting to find rhythm with his middle hitters to comfortably take the set 25-15.

Set four was a nervy affair as despite some strong passing by Libero James Taggert and some late substitutions Weymouth lost their momentum and lost the set 25-21.

This meant a crucial fifth set which saw Stout, Oldrid and Hendry return to the team.

They lifted the intensity and with the final set only to 15 Weymouth found themselves at 14-11. Oldrid played a lovely ball to Stuey Jeanes who cleverly found space to secure the victory.

Weymouth next play away to Cardiff Celts and two away league fixtures against city of Bristol and Cardiff VC in three weeks’ time.

* Weymouth would like to thank their sponsors Aura Nightclub and Stressless Massage.




WEYMOUTH secured two consecutive straight sets wins as they maintained the flawless start having not dropped a set so far.

A trip to Bristol saw them play two matches in a day with both being superb victories against Bristol VC 2’s and Torexe Topguns in their second round league fixtures.

Weymouth 3  Bristol VC 2’s 0

Weymouth applied got off to a good start as setter Terry Oldrid found his rhythm early on finding his key hitters to help rack up the points.

Among this two long two service runs by Liam Tewkesbury and Ryan Stout helped cement the first set 25-14.

Early in the second set Weymouth lost outside hitter Ben Stokey to injury.

This meant Liam Tewksbury returned to the six and showed his ability with a good balance of power and guile, with regular outside hitter Stuey Jeanes playing as libero.

A change of setters midway through the second set saw Carl Neal come on and he started where Oldrid left off, making good offensive decisions as Weymouth ran out 25-14 winners.

The third set carried on in the same vein.

Carl Neal connected well with ex-Scotland International Sean Hendry as Weymouth secured a straight sets victory, winning the final set 25-11.

Weymouth 3  Torexe Topguns 0

Weymouth then faced Torexe Topguns in their second match of the day and came out strong in the first set with Liam Tewkesbury and Ryan Stout again serving well.

The good start was cemented as they took the first set 25-11.

The second set was much closer although the end result was still the same.

Weymouth took their foot off the gas but strong hitting from player coaches Sean Hendry and Ryan Stout saw Weymouth come through 25-20.

The final set was similarly difficult until a much-needed team talk from libero Stuey Jeanes seemed to rally the side.

This helped Weymouth seal their sixth consecutive set of the day, taking the third 25-19.

The victories mean Weymouth stay at the top of the table and are yet to drop a set.

Weymouth’s next fixture sees them at home up against Urbond in the National Shield on the 11 November before two home games versus City of Bristol and Torexe Topguns the day after.

The team would like to thank their sponsors, Aura nightclub and Stressless Massage for their support.

Weymouth Beach earn a victorious double in South West League

WEYMOUTH Beach Volleyball club host their first league fixtures in 20 years entertaining Cardiff Panthers and Beach Academy with the seasiders looking to lay down a marker for the South West League.

The first game against Cardiff saw plenty of excitement in the venue for both team and supporters.

However, this excitement seemed to work against the home team with a first serve error giving Panthers the best start.

This set the tone for the early exchanges however, a run of serves from Stuey Jeanes and Sean Hendry got Weymouth back on track, eventually running out 25-14 winners.

Set two saw some changes with the introduction of young player Liam Tewkesbury.

Mid-set, Weymouth trailed by two points (16-14), however, Sam Groom started to connect well with setter Terry Oldrid and Weymouth turned it round.

Some strong serves by Ian Denslow and some smart hitting from Tewkesbury and Ryan Stout saw Weymouth close out the set 25-20.

The home team came into the fixture with one clear goal, to win 3-0. This never looked in doubt with Weymouth running out 25-11 winners in the third set.

Some tough serving and good decision making from returning veteran setter David Markwick helped his side put on a show and close out the game.

Weymouth’s second game was against Beach Academy who by then had defeated Cardiff Panthers 3-0.

The hosts came flying out of the blocks, taking an early 10-3 lead.

Some exceptional defensive play from libero Elliot Sawyer allowed setter Oldrid to dictate the early exchanges.

The young Croyde-based team appeared shell-shocked calling an early time out.

The set continued in the same vein, with explosive outside hitting from Stout taking the set 25-9.

Two changes were made to Weymouth’s line-up for the second set, with Ben Mills and Tewkesbury coming into the team.

The set started scrappy with both sides making several unforced errors.

With Beach Academy 12-10 up, Weymouth were again thankful for a run of serves from Sean Hendry to edge a tense 25-23 victory.

Ben Stokes and Markwick were introduced to the line-up for the third set and the tense exchanges continued.

However, Weymouth ere able to pull away from 13-10 to win 25-16 win and take another well-deserved 3-0 victory.

The next game sees Weymouth travel to Bristol to play Bristol VC and Torexe Topguns club on Sunday, October 22.

The club would like to thank their sponsors Aura nightclub and Stressless Massage as well as their supporters.


Weymouth Beach Indoor Team come close to Giant Kill in their first match
Southampton Volleyball Club 3-1 Weymouth Beach Volleyball Club

The newly formed Weymouth Beach Volleyball Club played their first game of the season on Saturday 16th September travelling away to Southampton who play in National League Division 1 in the National cup.  This is the first time an indoor  team from Weymouth has competed at a national level for over 20 years.  The squad, formed  of former international players  Ryan Stout and Sean Hendry, as well as other players who have only played at Weymouth  area  level, are hopeful they  can work their way up the national league structure.

Weymouth took the first set by storm with a huge hit from Ryan Stout and an ace served from Sean Hendry allowing the team to go point to point with Southampton placed four divisions above them in the national league.  Weymouth managed to sneak in front with a super run of serves from Terry Oldrid.  Following this some fine hitting from Sean Hendry and blocking from Ryan Stout saw Weymouth take the first set 25-23.

Weymouth started the second set slow.  Serving errors and missed chances from the travelling team saw Southampton race to a lead in comfortable fashion.  Player coach Ryan made several substitutions, one being forced as Sean Hendry dislocated his finger.  One of these changes saw young 19-year-old Liam Tewkesbury come into the fold steadying the team and encouraging Weymouth back into the set. Unfortunately, the lead Southampton had was unassailable and they went on to win the set 25-20.

Weymouth reverted back to the original six for the third set to try and gain another set advantage. Weymouth battled with Southampton in the set with both middle players Ian Denslow and another young player, 18-year-old Sam Groom working hard through the middle position with some consistent hitting and blocking. Libero Elliot Sawyer organised the defence and received well to allow Weymouth to compete early in the third set. However some fine serving and middle hitting from Southampton saw them power through to win the set (25-16).


Weymouth remained very much in the game and committed to the cause; Stuart Jeanes playing particularly solid in both attack and defense.  Despite this Weymouth struggled to find a way through the organised Southampton defence. With more firepower needed player coach Stout made changes and in came Ben Stokey, Ben Mills and Carl Neal to try turn around the team fortunes in the second half of the set. Sadly, it was not to be and Southampton closed out the set (25-19) and took the game 3-1 overall.

Despite the result player coaches Ryan Stout, Sean Hendry and Stuey Jeanes were happy with the performance and proud that a team that had only been formed six weeks earlier managed to steal a set off such experienced opposition who played in the ‘premiership’ of English volleyball only last year.

Despite the national cup run ending as soon as it started, Weymouth still have National opportunities after now being put into the national shield competition starting in the next few months. Attention quickly turns to the South West League, with the team’s first fixture being played at Redlands Community Sports Hub on the 8th of October.   The team would like to thank their sponsors Aura Nightclub, Stressless Massage and Stylish Stitches for their support.

Squad: front row: Carl Neal, Liam Tewkesbury, Elliot Sawyer, Ryan Stout, Stuart Jeanes.  Back row: Sam Groom, Ben Stokey, Sean Hendry, Terry Oldrid, Ben Mills, Ian Denslow.